Monday, January 29, 2007

The Writing Center Questions

The Writing Center

1. Did any of your former schools have a writing center?
Yes, my high school St. Francis Prep did have a writing center. I guess that’s what you can call it but in reality all it really was a classroom where the English teachers would go to when they didn’t have any classes and just help the students out.

2. Have you ever gone to a writing center? If so, what is it like?
I have gone to the writing center here at St. Johns. I was kind of nervous at first because I have never really been the best writer and I always the writer center was a place where they would say that I was a bad writer. But it wasn’t that bad. I went there twice once because I needed help coming up with an idea and to help me structure the essay and the second time I went was to proofread my essay.

3. How can the writing center here at St. John's help you with this course?
I think that the writing center will play a huge role in this English class because if you can’t come up with an idea they will help you brainstorm and they will help you make your essay flow.

4. What facets of your writing do you want to work on?
There are a lot of things that I definitely need help with when it comes to writing. The first thing would have to be my grammar; it’s definitely not the strongest. I need a lot of help with that. Another thing would maybe be it’s sometimes I don’t really know how to structure any essay.

5. If a WC consultant asked you to describe your writing process, what would you say?
I think first I have to come up with an idea of what my essay is going to be on. If I don’t come with one I will be stuck and will not be able to do anything. Once I have an idea I’ll I write down notes on the topic and make sub-topics. After I have made that outline then I will start to write my essay. Throughout the essay my ideas definitely will change but I have to make sure to rearrange everything to make it flow. Then I’ll print it up and proofread it. After that I’ll fix all the mistakes on it and hand it in.

6. Have you hugged your writing center today?
By hugging I don’t really know what you mean but if you mean that I’m grateful its there. Well then I guess you can say that I hugged the Writing Center because it has definitely helped me with a lot of my writing problems that I have had.

No comments: