Monday, February 19, 2007

Music

Music is something that surrounds us on a daily basis. Whether you’re shopping in a store, listen to the radio in your car or when you’re on the platform waiting for the train, music is there. According to wikiepdia.com the definition of music “is expressed in terms of pitch, rhythm and the quality of sound. Music can also involve generative forms in time through the construction of patterns and combinations of natural stimuli, principally sound.”. In a way I would have to agree with this definition of what music is, but there is more to it than just pitch, rhythm and sound.
To me music portrays my everyday life. One of the things that make me connect most with music besides the rhythm and beats are the lyrics. When I listen to music I don’t hear the beat I hear the lyrics. In some way or another I feel like music is like therapy. When you’re sad, happy, angry, in love, there’s always a song that speaks directly to what you are feeling. There have been times that I have been so upset and I just listen to a song and I start to ball like a baby because the song is talking exactly on how I am feeling. That’s definitely my favorite thing about music. It’s so diversify, that it expresses any mood. Sometimes it’s weird because you like this artist was probably feeling the same way I am feeling when they wrote the song and that’s an amazing way to connect with the artist because at least you feel like you have something in common with someone that is famous. One good example of this is sometimes when I’m at work during my break, I always with other coworkers and most of the time I’ll one of my earphones on from my ipod and the other one off so I can talk to them. But they will always ask me what I’m listening to and when I tell them, they are always given me feedback on what they think of the song, or artist. So basically music surrounds us even when are not even listening to it.
But when I talk about music I’m not just talking about what’s hot on the radio, I’m also talking about music from other countries, music people play like the piano or the violin and many more. Music has an extremely long history and throughout this long history different types of genres and different cultures have evolved their own music. There have been six major musical periods: medieval, renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic and now the 20th century music era and each of these different types of era’s have influence each other in one way or another. The 20th century era is the one that plays more of a role in our lives because it’s basically in the era that we are in. But that doesn’t mean that the other eras aren’t incorporated into the music that we listen to today. I know many artists that have made songs using beats or melodies from other periods to make their song sound more unique. One good example is that I know this song that the melody in the beginning is something that Beveenthoeven composed. I guess you can say it’s weird to mix rap with classical music but that’s what makes it interesting and appealing to many listeners.
So if music is such a big part of our lives then why are schools trying to take away funding from the arts and putting it into things that are more traditional like math and reading. I obviously don’t agree with what they are doing. “Music in the Classroom: Its Influence on Children's Brain Development, Academic Performance, and Practical Life Skills.”, this is an article that I found when I was researching the topic of music. The article basically said that children who are exposed to music, their abilities to perform better academically are enhanced. It also said that by learning about music and training with music can teach you life skills. This research shows that music can help students get better grades and basically become a well rounded person. Then why don’t schools spend more times on the arts. I guess more people think that teaching their students or children more about math, English or even history that, that will get them further in life than some instrument will.
I think that more people need to open up their ears and just take time and just listen to their surrounds because music is always surrounds us. It’s unfortunate that most governors can’t see how important just playing an instruments or singing in the schools choir is to the development of a child or even a human being. Just imagine if one hundreds years ago governors or presidents saying to stop the teaching of music. We won’t have the amazing signers, composers, violinist, pianists and many other artists. Life would be extremely boring and dull. I feel that if these people keep cut the funding for the arts the future for music is looking pretty bad.

No comments: